If you or a loved one have been injured in the state of Pennsylvania, you may be eligible to file a personal injury claim and receive compensation for your injuries.
For a free legal consultation to find out if you qualify, contact the lawyers at Hissey Mulderig & Friend by calling toll-free at 1-855-922-3660, or by filling out our free case evaluation form to the right of this page.
What is a Personal Injury Case?
Personal injury lawsuits involve allegations that someone has been injured as a result of negligence on the part of another individual or company. Individuals who have suffered personal injuries may be entitled to receive compensation from the company or individual whose negligence caused the injury to occur.
The purpose of filing a personal injury lawsuit is to receive compensation for economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages involve such as loss of wages, medical bills, lost capacity to work, or even funeral expenses. Non-economic damages may involve pain and suffering, mental distress, or loss of companionship. In serious personal injury claims, the total economic and non-economic damages may be hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars.
Most personal injury lawsuits are resolved through a settlement. However, in some cases, these claims may go all the way to a trial, where the decision as to whether another individual or company was negligent and thus responsible for the injury is decided by a jury.
Types of Personal Injury Claims
Some of the most common types of personal injury cases include:
- Birth injury cases: Parents whose children were born with birth injuries such as Erb’s palsy or cerebral palsy as a result of negligence by a doctor or hospital may qualify to file a lawsuit.
- Car accident lawsuits: Drivers or passengers who were injured in an automobile accident as a result of dangerous driving, road rage, tailgating, or other causes may be eligible to file a lawsuit.
- Medical malpractice claims: Negligence on the part of a doctor or hospital is referred to as medical malpractice, and may result in serious injuries or death.
- Premises liability claims: including slip and fall cases: Premises liability involves injuries resulting from the condition of someone else’s property. Slip and fall cases are the most common type of these cases.
- Workplace accident claims: Workplace accidents that are caused by the negligence of an employer or other company may result in serious injuries or even death.
- Wrongful death cases: Wrongful death claims involve cases in which a negligent personal injury results in the death of a family member or loved one.
The lawyers at Hissey Mulderig & Friend handle all types of personal injury-related matters across the state of Pennsylvania. If you or a loved one have been injured, contact our offices to find out how we can help.
Steps to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit
The first step in filing a personal injury claim is to contact an attorney to help determine whether you are eligible to take legal action. Hissey Mulderig & Friend has a team of lawyers and dedicated support staff available to take your call or receive your message to help determine if you qualify.
- After we receive your call or message, a member of our staff will review your information to help determine whether you may be eligible to take legal action.
- If we think we can help, one of our attorneys will contact you to talk with you about your case.
- Once you have selected Hissey Mulderig & Friend as your attorneys to represent you in your case, we may reach out to legal counsel for the other side to try to reach a settlement in your case.
- If a settlement cannot be reached, we may file your lawsuit and begin the discovery phase of the litigation, in which we gather more information about your case.
- After the discovery phase is completed, we may again attempt to reach a settlement with the other attorneys.
- If no settlement can be reached, your case may then proceed to trial, where the decision about negligence and damages will be made by a jury.
Each lawsuit is different and unique. However, these steps represent a typical pattern of how many personal injury cases proceed.
Because there is a two-year statute of limitations to file a personal injury lawsuit in the state of Pennsylvania, it is important that you contact an attorney as soon as possible to find out whether you are eligible to file a claim and to make sure that your lawsuit is filed before time runs out.
Contact Us for a Free Legal Consultation
If you or a loved one have been injured, you may be eligible to file a personal injury lawsuit and receive compensation for your injuries, medical bills, or other damages.
For a free legal consultation to find out if you qualify to file a personal injury lawsuit in the state of Pennsylvania, contact the lawyers at Hissey Mulderig & Friend by calling toll-free at 1-855-922-3660, or by filling out the free case evaluation form on the right side of this page.
After we receive your message, one of our staff members will contact you for more information and to help you schedule your consultation with one of our attorneys. We look forward to hearing from you!
Free Legal Consultation
Call toll-free at 1-855-922-3660 or complete this form to talk to a lawyer about your case.